11 October 2012

Big Chop!

I sat on it and sat on it.. I called both of my grandmas, and both told me "baby, just do it. you gotta do it anyway, right?".. so, finally, I broke down, drove over to the beauty college and had them chop me up..

I was big eyed and terrified the whole time, watching big chunks of my hair fall to the floor.. They took me over to the barber side to get "shaped up".. That was the first time clippers have ever been than close to my head. I understand why kids are so scared during their first hair cut lol.. The guy cut me kinda crooked, but its done now and I'm not going back for a while.. I still have some relaxed ends on top, but I just couldn't handle anymore.. I was shaking, feeling light headed. I needed to go home and let this trauma pass lol.


Sorry about the sun, I snapped a quick picture in the car driving home. I dunno what they used on my hair, but it was stinky. The definition is nice though. I have about 3 inches of hair, but my coils are super tight, so there's a lot of shrinkage.


I couldn't quite replicate the look myself at home.. So, back to square one. My oil and aloe vera mix just doesn't seem to be enough. I went to target today and got some Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Leave-in Conditioner and Suave Professionals Mousse Captivating Curls Whipped Cream Mousse because they were both under 3 dollars lol. I tried to buy from the ethnic care section, I really did.. when I saw shampoo for or whatever it was for 58 bucks, I did my best to catch my breath and not pass out on the floor. I couldn't do it. I could feel the cash in my pocket causing great pain to my leg..

I ran into another natural (cause I can say that now, hehe). I asked her the typical question one natural would ask another natural stranger in line at the store "what do you use on your hair?" basically, she said she uses Carol's Daughter, but wants something cheaper. She went on to say she wanted to try the Shea Moisture next.. Ok, if you don't know anything else about me, know that I am cheap.. too cheap. I'm not a penny pincher, I have my pennies super glued down. I showed her the Garnier in my cart, but she said its best to use products designed for "African American hair". I didn't want to argue with her, so I just said "oh, ok.. thank you"..

I'm just going to throw this out there for any new naturals, transitioners, or vets: you do NOT have to use products designed specifically for black hair.. truthfully, most of that high-priced ethnic stuff is manufactured by "white people".. let's just be realistic. Hair is hair.. set aside the curl types and color of our skin, its all basically the same. That's why a white person can use a black person shampoo with great results. if you read the ingredients list of the white products against the black products, I guarantee they have the same things. I know, because I looked lol. The main differences are oil and petroleum, but even on the white products, most of the moisturizing products have oils in them, because all hair, black white red green, needs oil.....

Ok, I realize I've gone off on a whole other blog post. I really just wanted to talk about the fact that I just cut off all my hair lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment